If you like to keep active and stay in shape, volunteering in our local furniture store warehouse could be the answer you’re looking for.
We need helpful and active people to keep our stock moving back and forth from our vans to the shop floor when donations arrive or items sell.
This role involves keeping active but it’s not just moving furniture.
There are other opportunities to help our warehouse team such as booking in and checking over stock for sale, putting together our flat packed furniture and testing electrical items.
Say hello to the team:
Funding for researchers begins at your local charity shop. Last year our British Heart Foundation UK charity shops raised an incredible £28 million – this wouldn’t have been possible without our fantastic volunteers.
Our Newport Furniture team led by Steve and Dave is bright and bubbly, and love meeting people from all walks of life.
COVID procedures: We are COVID-secure, following current Government Guidance. We provide sneeze screens at till-points, hand sanitiser, disinfectant and face coverings. We maintain a strict cleaning schedule and social distancing in our shops/stores, and quarantine donations for 48 hours.
Typical tasks include:
· Ensuring the warehouse is always kept clean and tidy
· Lifting and carrying a range of furniture items
· Lifting and shifting deliveries alongside the Warehouse Supervisor
· Identifying poor quality donations for recycling
· Sorting and processing donated goods; this is mainly grading stock in order of quality alongside the Warehouse Supervisor
· Replenishing sold furniture on the shop floor
· Acting as an ambassador for British Heart Foundation
You get a lot from volunteering too:
· A chance to work in a friendly team, to make new friends and meet a diverse group of people
· The opportunity to make an invaluable contribution to British Heart Foundation goal of beating heartbreak forever
· The time to develop your confidence and interpersonal skills - ease back into a work place
· The ability to gain valuable warehouse experience to add to your CV and learn new skills
· Flexibility to fit with your lifestyle - choose shifts that suit you and your schedule
Here's a little bit more about us:
The BHF is here to Beat Heartbreak Forever. We are working towards a world free from the fear of heart and circulatory diseases.
By 2030, we want to see advances across the spectrum of heart and circulatory diseases; we want to prevent these conditions from developing and we want those with existing conditions to have better, longer lives.
An awareness of H&S would be helpful, and the ability to work as a team.
This role involves heavy lifting so a degree of fitness will be required, but any help is appreciated, including lighter items.
- Diversity and equal opportunities policy
Talk to store for specifics - the warehouse role is quite physical, for reference.
- Age restrictions
Volunteers must be over 16
- Child Protection
- Complaints Policy
- Confidentially Policy
- DBS check required
- Ex Offenders
- Expenses reimbursed
Reasonable travel costs reimbursed for shifts of more than 2-3 hours in agreement with the Managers
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Suitable for Duke of Edinburgh Award
- Suitable for Supported Volunteering
Dependant on staffing levels - talk to Managers for an informal chat but Support Plans can be produced tailored to specific volunteers
- Suitable for Under 16's
Volunteers must be over 16
- Suitable for Under 18's
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Vulnerable Adults Policy
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
End Date: 31/01/2023
Most volunteers do a 3 or 4 hour shift, but if you would like to do longer that is fine. Agree break times with Steve and Dave, but we can be really flexible. The only restrictions are around the maximum number of people allowed in the building due to COVID which may require some flexibility.
18a High St
More Opportunities from British Heart Foundation - Newport
FYTbus (Wight Community Access Ltd)
East Cowes Town Council
Dimbola Museum and Galleries
Optio Voluntary Car Service