To work with children and young people and carers on a one to one basis using a variety of interventions, to identify needs and to achieve positive outcomes.
Mentors will help the PVSS team to support parents, children and young people in a variety of ways, both in the home and in the community. The work we do can be challenging but is also very enjoyable, making a real difference to the lives of children and families
What you will be doing
Building a safe and welcoming environment for children, young people
and families who visit the prison.
Providing signposting and information to visiting family members,
regarding what to do on visits, other sources of support available to them
and any other queries relating to family support.
Promoting positive play between children and family members.
Ensuring that families have access to appropriate play activities/resources
Complying with the requirements of working within a prison environment.
Adhering to Barnardo's policies and procedures at all times, including
Barnardo's: Safeguarding; Equality, Diversity and Inclusion; Health &
Safety; Data Protection; Confidentiality; Recording policies and
Participating fully in training and supervision.
Volunteering within Barnardo's Basis and Values.
The skills you need:
- Reliable, punctual and trustworthy.
- Approachable and welcoming.
- Passion, enthusiasm, compassion, understanding and having an open minded approach.
- Being passionate about making a difference in the lives of children, young people and families.
- Preferably have some experience of working with children, young people and families
- Be able to build positive relationships with children and families
- Have a non judgemental attitude and good listening skills
- To be available to attend supervision sessions
- Diversity and equal opportunities policy
- Age restrictions
- Child Protection
- Complaints Policy
- Confidentially Policy
- DBS check required
Extra vetting required from HMP
- Ex Offenders
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Suitable for Under 16's
- Suitable for Under 18's
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Vulnerable Adults Policy
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 01/08/2016
End Date: 01/08/2023
Isle of Wight
More Opportunities from Barnardos IOW
Wight Military And Heritage CIO
Sight for Wight (formerly Isle of Wight Blind Society)
Cruse Bereavement Care Isle of Wight
South West Advocacy Network
Carisbrooke Castle Museum